RPCS3 Forums

Full Version: Why does the Quickstart Guide state you can dump content through PS3Xport?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As listed in the official RPCS3 Quickstart Guide (as of this writing), below the "Game Dumping Methods" section:
Quote:Note: It is also possible to dump digital content and licenses on any PS3 even without custom firmware by the way of creating a system backup and then extracting it with ps3xport software.

How could PS3Xport be used for that instead of the other methods actually described in the Quickstart Guide? 

After some long searching, it seems nigh-impossible to perform with just OFW in the majority of cases due to the encryption, both with PS3Xport or otherwise. I've yet to find a method that works with the most recent versions of the PS3's firmware— one I think most people reading the guide who don't have CFW and want to seek an alternative would have. If I'm right it seems kind of misleading to list because of this, so I've decided to ask here. Can someone more knowledgeable than me, please tell me what's going on? Is this just listed as a technicality? Am I missing something big?
That's right, to decrypt the part of the backup that has the game, you need the drive's eid_root_key.
Since it cannot even be extracted with HFW, as Rebug Toolbox requires Rebug CFW, I removed that part from the quickstart.