RPCS3 Forums

Full Version: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [BLES00246]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello! Hope I'm doing this right. MGS4 is freezing right before snake becomes playable. I can change the channels of the intro TV segment and mess around in the menus, but the moment the main game cutscene ends, and the HUD appears, my emulator freezes.

All my configuration settings are default and both Vulkan and OpenGL renderers result in the same freeze. All my drivers are also up to date as of 8/29/22

Here are my specs for reference:
CPU: Intel i5-9600K 3.70GHz
GPU: Geforce RTX 2070-Super (MSI) (Driver V.516.94)
RAM: 16GB of Crucial Ballistix
RPCS3 Version: 0.0.24-14132-eb4131e1 Alpha | master
For Metal Gear Solid 4, do you apply the canary patch? it really helps a lot for the stability.
(09-11-2022, 02:40 PM)Miimé Wrote: [ -> ]For Metal Gear Solid 4, do you apply the canary patch? it really helps a lot for the stability.

I wasn't aware of that, but it seemed to do the trick!

Now the only issue im dealing with is some nasty audio stuttering, particularly whenever voicelines occur or weapon sound effects. I've done some research but a lot of what I've seen is way beyond my understanding. I did note that the issues can stem from the audio having troubles keeping up with the higher framerate (60 fps in this case), and setting the fps cap to 30 help a bit. Any ideas?
Good for you if I could help you to launch the game Smile

For the audio stuttering I'm going to ask around, if I get any interesting info I'll come and tell you. Smile
I personally don't have this problem, but I just upgraded my Pc to a 12900k. From what I know RPCS3 is very demanding in Cpu due to the architecture of the Ps3, more MGS4 is one of those games that really require a lot of processor. (for this game I even have to activate the AVX-512 to have 60fps constant)
As I don't have the same cpu, it's difficult for me to test, even if your i5 seems to be in the standards required for Rpcs3, but from one game to another it can change from simple to double. The version of Windows can also change some things, I made the choice to stay on W10 despite my cpu is designed for W11, so I could not say how Rpcs3 behaves on this operating system.
In the meantime I can give you my Rpcs3 settings, but I'm not sure it will help you.

I almost forgot, have you tried to activate the "time streching" option in audio/buffering in Rpcs3?
I advise you to install all the game as if you were playing it on the Ps3.
(09-12-2022, 04:02 PM)Miimé Wrote: [ -> ]Good for you if I could help you to launch the game Smile

For the audio stuttering I'm going to ask around, if I get any interesting info I'll come and tell you. Smile
I personally don't have this problem, but I just upgraded my Pc to a 12900k. From what I know RPCS3 is very demanding in Cpu due to the architecture of the Ps3, more MGS4 is one of those games that really require a lot of processor. (for this game I even have to activate the AVX-512 to have 60fps constant)
As I don't have the same cpu, it's difficult for me to test, even if your i5 seems to be in the standards required for Rpcs3, but from one game to another it can change from simple to double. The version of Windows can also change some things, I made the choice to stay on W10 despite my cpu is designed for W11, so I could not say how Rpcs3 behaves on this operating system.
In the meantime I can give you my Rpcs3 settings, but I'm not sure it will help you.

I almost forgot, have you tried to activate the "time streching" option in audio/buffering in Rpcs3?
I advise you to install all the game as if you were playing it on the Ps3.

I actually just upgraded my CPU to a i7-12700k! Currently compiling PPU modules so i'll report back once im actually ingame to see if that solved the sound issue.

Update: Game runs amazingly now! no sound issues either. Had one crash at the beginning but no problems to report otherwise.
Aah, good news then. You'll see these cpu's are excellent. I suspected it was probably a bottleneck problem. RPCS3 works well, but is not yet fully optimized. Now you can aim for 60fps without problems at 200% (1440p) or 300%( 3840p) if you want.
RPCS3 but also other emulators also benefit a lot from the AVX-512 if you enable it in the bios.
I wish you a good game Smile