RPCS3 Forums

Full Version: rpcs3_vm_sparse.tmp, annoying and too big..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
rpcs3_vm_sparse.tmp
33,554,432 KB
this file is way too big and eats up unnecessary file storage space in a temp folder on my NVMe SSD boot drive..

Is there anyway to disable its creation in RPCS3?
No, it doesn't take up any space on disk. Right click, go to proprieties and see "Size on disk". Explorer is misleading.
(06-25-2021, 08:24 PM)Ani Wrote: [ -> ]No, it doesn't take up any space on disk. Right click, go to proprieties and see "Size on disk". Explorer is misleading.

ok so [SIZE on DISK] says 0 bytes..
that is the strangest Windows thing I have ever seen...
CCleaner which I use to keep my PC clean is reporting it as that large 32GB and cleaning it...

Ani, is there no way to disable it generation in RPCS3?
No, it's used and required for memory mapping. It doesn't take up any space on disk, so there's no problem as it won't take up unnecessary storage space.
CCleaner likely also uses "Size" instead of "Size on disk". Most programs don't know what sparse files are.

You can also see that "Free space" on your drive's properties is the same before and after the file is spawned.
Alrighty then..
On my system, this file lives on a standard HDD because I hybridized my system when I built it this past winter (Windows/games/etc on SSD, %Users% directories and media files on an HDD).

D:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\rpcs3_vm_sparse.tmp

Everything else about RPCS3, including program files and games, is on C: (SSD). I know this file doesn't take up any space on disk, so I would not think that having it on the HDD would impact performance, but I wanted to make sure.