RPCS3 Forums

Full Version: Are multiple processors (24+ threads) supported in the latest build?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
Long time lurker, first time poster. 

I'll be getting a workstation grade machine next week. It's a (hold your horses) Mac Pro 5,1 from 2012.
I know it's not the best computer for gaming but that won't be its main purpose. I'd like to give rpcs3 a try though. I'll be running Windows 10 of course. It has two 6 core X5690 Westmere Xeons running at 3.33GHz and 24 threads.

I'm wondering if that's in any way better than one processor with an exceptionally high clock speed. Normally it wouldn't because games don't really benefit from having so many cores but since there's an emulation layer on top of the actual game... it might help...
The game I'd like to try is Red Dead Redemption.

What are your thoughts on this?

PS: I'm currently shopping for a second hand 1080 strix. Currently it has a Radeon 7 series GPU with one gig of VRAM. I'll try RPCS3 with the old card for funsies but I'm not expecting much performance out of it.

Thanks!
It won't use anywhere near that many threads. I maybe wrong and I hope someone corrects me, but a quad core 8 thread is more than you need right now. Who knows in the future of the emulation. The more threads you have CAN help a game though most the time is hinders games due to the timings associated with each thread. Work is spread more though more areas of error.
Emulation is more concerned about STP (Single Threaded Performance) then how many cores you have. Though with PS3 and Wii 4 core is recommended due to the system they are emulating. That CPU has the STP of a AMD FX 8350. So not great for emulation. You will get by, though don't expect awesome results. Video Card just have to be vulkan compatible honestly. Not many games require an awesome video card. I was running a 760 for a long time due to emulation not needing much actual GPU horsepower.
I hope this answers your question.
RPCS3 can scale across a lot of threads, there's 10 critical threads but more can always be used. I'm not too sure how far we can scale but 16thread cpu's do get utilized quite well.
Hum... Interesting. So it may actually help. I guess I'll have try it out for myself to get a little more scientific. But first I need to get hold of a 1080Ti.