RPCS3 Forums

Full Version: I want to colaborate, but I'm not good enough (yet)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Pachus

Hello everybody. I've been following this project for almost a year and I'm fascinated about how far you have gone with PS3 emulation.

I love videogames since I was a little kid, there were some that I had and there were some I couldn't have (no child have 50 € to spend in what he likes). I always paid for the games I really loved and if I couldn't at this moment, I always tried to make it in the future. For those old enough, the videogames of their childhood no longer live in their memories, because there are some people that make consoles live forever. I really appreciate all your work and effort in consoles emulation.

That being said, I would really love to colaborate with you in Rpcs3. I'm 20, I'm about to start my third course in Computer Engineering and I know I don't have enough experience to contribute to this huge project at the moment, but I feel confident to start learning about emulation. I'm thinking that maybe I should start trying to emulate the GBC or similar (should be way easier than PS3) but I would appreciate any suggestions or comments like how did you start learning to emulate (reverse engineering, etc), what should I start with and so on.

Thank you very much (I'm sorry if the beginning was boring), hopefully I can contribute in the near future.

Note: English is not my first lenguage, so sorry if there were some misunderstandings.

derpf

I'd rather suggest starting with the Chip-8. Even the GBC is a monster if you're entirely new to emulation. Don't follow a tutorial but rather read a spec on the hardware and then implement it yourself.

Even that is only going to help by being more familiar with VMs and timing and audio/video and such. The PS3 is much different from older consoles. The thing is even without experience in emulation you can still contribute to the HLE effort of debugging/fixing/implementing libraries.

Pachus

Ok, I will take a look into Chip-8. You said that about tutorials because the own effort is the really way of learning, isn't it? I'll try then.

I'll also try to contribute to HLE, but as I said maybe I have not enough experience (I know C++, but not in an advanced level).

Btw, VM = "Virtual Machine" or "Virtual Memory" ? Sorry for the stupid question.

Thank you for the advices!

derpf

(07-19-2015, 10:56 AM)Pachus Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I will take a look into Chip-8. You said that about tutorials because the own effort is the really way of learning, isn't it? I'll try then.

In my opinion, yes. Most tutorials are just "I'm going to show you the complete code but in small bits to explain what they do, so that you're not actually doing anything, just looking at it like a museum piece." No thought, design, or execution involved in it. If you only go by a spec, you're actually thinking and writing an emulator.

The CHIP-8 is simple enough to reasonably do this.

Quote:I'll also try to contribute to HLE, but as I said maybe I have not enough experience (I know C++, but not in an advanced level).

You should brush up on your C++ skills. Maybe use the CHIP-8 emulator as an excuse to?

Quote:Btw, VM = "Virtual Machine" or "Virtual Memory" ? Sorry for the stupid question.

Thank you for the advices!

Virtual Machine.

Asking how to get started is a great question, by the way. Smile