RPCS3 Forums

Full Version: Some games freeze my system completely
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since just few revisions, emulator freeze completely my system when running some games, without any error.
I believe it might be due to some work on rsx lately.
Here is example log. The log on screen stops at usual points, system becomes unresponsive does not react on any input, but log writes to file rpcs3.log anyway. Usually, system freezes when it appears:
Code:
RSX: ! {RSXThread} Add program (1):
RSX: ! {RSXThread} *** prog id = 5
RSX: ! {RSXThread} *** vp id = 2
RSX: ! {RSXThread} *** fp id = 4
RSX: ! {RSXThread} *** vp data size = 3008
RSX: ! {RSXThread} *** fp data size = 16
RSX: ! {RSXThread} *** vp shader =

or rarely

Code:
void main()
{
    h2 = diff_color;
    r0 = h2;
    r2 = h2;
    r3 = h2;
    r4 = h2;
    ocol0 = r0;
    ocol1 = r2;
    ocol2 = r3;
    ocol3 = r4;

Wonder where is the problem.

LittleGrejmer

Maybe your computer is too slow and can't handle overload. That some games propably uses bunch of instructions that need compute power or you manually set more processor time to emulator and system dosen't have enough compute power to work properly.

Ekaseo

(12-17-2014, 06:16 PM)LittleGrejmer Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe your computer is too slow and can't handle overload. That some games propably uses bunch of instructions that need compute power or you manually set more processor time to emulator and system dosen't have enough compute power to work properly.

no it isnt, arkedo series freeze my computer and i had no problem running it before
First build that freeze my system (from autobuilds forum section) is this one http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=165503

Im on amd card
(12-17-2014, 06:16 PM)LittleGrejmer Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe your computer is too slow and can't handle overload. That some games propably uses bunch of instructions that need compute power or you manually set more processor time to emulator and system dosen't have enough compute power to work properly.

This is completely wrong. A slow computer will just run slowly, that is all. No such thing as crash due to overload (assuming you don't run out of ram and have swap disabled I suppose)

derpf

(12-17-2014, 10:06 PM)ssshadow Wrote: [ -> ]This is completely wrong. A slow computer will just run slowly, that is all. No such thing as crash due to overload (assuming you don't run out of ram and have swap disabled I suppose)

It will hang the system if the OS's scheduler prioritizes it over other things like the UI (i.e., if you set the process priority to High/Realtime.) If you don't do that, something funky is going on, probably. What does Task Manager say before it freezes?

flashmozzg

(12-18-2014, 10:50 AM)derpf Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-17-2014, 10:06 PM)ssshadow Wrote: [ -> ]This is completely wrong. A slow computer will just run slowly, that is all. No such thing as crash due to overload (assuming you don't run out of ram and have swap disabled I suppose)

It will hang the system if the OS's scheduler prioritizes it over other things like the UI (i.e., if you set the process priority to High/Realtime.) If you don't do that, something funky is going on, probably. What does Task Manager say before it freezes?

I've never seen that happen on on ne PC's because UI usually runs in separate thread so no freezing on multicore CPUs. (Though insane lagging/ constant no response is still possible)

DaHandy

(12-18-2014, 03:06 PM)flashmozzg Wrote: [ -> ]I've never seen that happen on on ne PC's because UI usually runs in separate thread so no freezing on multicore CPUs. (Though insane lagging/ constant no response is still possible)

Just a note here: Threads have nothing to do with CPU cores, threads & processes are OS specific... Single core can run multiple threads, so no freezing on single core either (with a proper OS). Wink

flashmozzg

(12-18-2014, 04:35 PM)DaHandy Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-18-2014, 03:06 PM)flashmozzg Wrote: [ -> ]I've never seen that happen on on ne PC's because UI usually runs in separate thread so no freezing on multicore CPUs. (Though insane lagging/ constant no response is still possible)

Just a note here: Threads have nothing to do with CPU cores, threads & processes are OS specific... Single core can run multiple threads, so no freezing on single core either (with a proper OS). Wink

Nope. Multiple threads can run on 1 core, true, but not at the same time (without HT anyway). They will be switching places so if one freezes it can freeze PC completely (and it happened on my old PC a lot there everything froze with no response, just still image).

DaHandy

(12-18-2014, 06:08 PM)flashmozzg Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-18-2014, 04:35 PM)DaHandy Wrote: [ -> ]

Nope. Multiple threads can run on 1 core, true, but not at the same time (without HT anyway). They will be switching places so if one freezes it can freeze PC completely (and it happened on my old PC a lot there everything froze with no response, just still image).

Did I say that they could run at the same time on one core? Nope. I just said that OS handles which thread is driven and when by the cores.

Thread sure can freeze but OS should take care that it won't give all the CPU time to that thread. On which OS can you freeze the whole system with just one frozen thread? I'd like to know that. Even on high priority threads that should not happen. The operation of the whole OS should just slow down, but never freeze.

When the whole PC crashes it is usually caused by faulty drivers, overheating or voltage peaks (or faulty OS...), not by a frozen thread (it might seem like some thread is frozen because your GPU or motherboard drivers have crashed).
Pages: 1 2